Skip to main content

Weekend at Barnard Castle and Cotherstone

For the weekend, I met with some friends and travelled to Cotherstone. We started off at Cross Lanes Organic farm, Barnard Castle, which runs a farm shop with local and organic produce and a cafe using local ingredients. The menu has a wide range of items, including a pizza menu where the pizza are cooked in a wood fired oven. We shared an Italian Pizza, Breakfast Pizza and a Chicken Tarragon Pizza.
20160604_133800
I didn’t believe this at first when a friend told me, but there are sheep on the roof! One side of the roof is covered with grass for the sheep. I have never seen anything like it before…
20160604_152526
20160604_152522
Later on, we drove to High Force, the largest waterfall in England. They normally close the area at 5pm but we made it in time! It is very beautiful and calming.
20160604_164553
20160604_163842
We finished off the evening with dinner at the Fox and Hounds pub in Cotherstone, which was just opposite the cottage we were staying at. We arrived at 8pm only to be told that due to two large parties being booked there, it would be at least an hour’s wait for food. The lady said we could try again at 9pm so we went back to our cottage. What was nice of her was that she personally came to our cottage to tell us when was best to return for food.
So…to end the day I had one of the specials – pork tenderloin in a creamy leek sauce and mushrooms with a side dish of vegetables…
20160604_215342
This left me feeling so full I had no room for dessert!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Chocolate at Costa Coffee

Recently I tried one of Costa’s Christmas Orange Hot Chocolates at Atlantic Village. I asked for cocoa powder and I got a frog on the top! How … Christmassy? 

Morrisons Gingerbread House

We recently got one of these Gingerbread House DIY sets from Morrisons, which looks very Christmassy. The photo on the box looked very impressive, I doubted I could recreate this look! …And despite my efforts, I could not! I tried my best! Included in the box are the gingerbread, plastic tray, packet of white icing and assorted sweets for decoration. The icing is already pre-made but requires you to massage it for 1 minute to soften it. However, I needed longer than this because the icing was still too hard. The gingerbread house comes in six pieces which are assembled with help of the plastic tray and some icing. This was fairly easy to do! The gingerbread smells delicious that I have to impose some self-control and not eat it… The tricky bit (and messy) was decorating the house. I found icing was difficult to do – sometimes it was too hard to get out of the bag, and sometimes it would not stick to the gingerbread itself! Trying to ice the windows and doors was a nightmar...

Edinburgh - Edinburgh Zoo

Edinburgh Zoo is a short bus ride from Princes Street. We arrived nice and early in order to maximise our animal-seeing time. Admittance is £16.50 for adults. There are plenty of animals to see, although sadly we didn’t get to see all of them! The orangutan enclosure was closed for medical reasons and the Sumatran tiger was hiding from us! Zebras Koala Bear Edinburgh Zoo is the only zoo in the UK which plays host to koala bears and giant pandas. There are currently four koalas. Hello Tian Tian Tian TIan with her bamboo It was recently revealed in the news that Tian Tian is pregnant, so the zoo had warned that visitors might not be able to see her. However, Yang Guang will be encouraged to come out for regular feedings. For the pandas, you have to book a viewing slot. During our viewing slot (about 11am), Tian Tian was sat with her back to the visitors eating bamboo. She reached to the side table for more bamboo, nearly losing her balance in the process. Eventually,...